Frequently Asked Questions


How many children does your facility accommodate and how are they housed?

We have the capacity for 24 children. 

Our locations are private residences in the community placed in neighborhoods for inclusion of the youth in the community.  Our locations are family style, and children/youth live in the residences as if they were in their own home with staff that are on duty 24 hours a day.  

What DSS agencies have you partnered with?

Iredell County, Rowan County, Alexander County, Union County, Wilkes County, Catawba County, Yadkin County, Cabarrus County, Rockingham County, Madison County, Ashe County, and Burke County.

What is your admission policy and application process?  What is required before placement can occur?

Phone contact with an administrator and information relative to the needs of the child/youth in need of placement are required before placement can occur.  Initially, it is helpful to have the placement’s full name, birthdate, and social security number, so that a personalized application packet can be prepared (the more information we have, the less time social workers will need to take filling out the complete admission packet.)  We strive to accept placement as quickly as possible. We are licensed for Level I care.  Applications can be obtained at the administrative offices of CHIC for review and/or submission.  Acceptance or denial of placement decisions are made as soon as possible.

What is your staff to child ratio during day and evening hours? 

The staff to child ratio is 1 staff to 6 children during awake hours and 1 staff to 8 children during sleep time hours.   We provide two on duty in most instances.  We also provide PRN staff in the homes during the day to assist with transportation and other coverage needs.

Do you transport children to out of county appointments to include court?

We strive to work with any provider to accommodate transportation when possible.  Availability of staff to provide out of county transport could be arranged with sufficient notice.

How many days of prior notice do you give when requesting a child be moved?

If circumstances warrant removal, our communication with the legal guardian throughout the placement would hopefully make evident the need for removal.  If observations are such that warrant review of placement, the legal guardian would be given sufficient notice to accomplish removal.

What types of activities are offered to the children during the day and on weekends?

Children and youth in care are engaged in normal, family style activities throughout their week days.  Weekends are planned to allow for recreation and leisure time that also may involve family visitation.  Children and youth have the opportunity to interact and participate in recreational and social activities with community friends and acquaintances (with legal guardian approval).

Normal home recreation and social activities may include but are not limited to movies, movie rental, Wii game activities, zoo trips, museum attendance, theatre performances, hiking, and fishing, outings at local parks, swimming or playing basketball at the local YMCA, etc.  Home vacation and/or special occasion recreation and social activities may also include Carowinds Amusement Park, Nascar and ballgame attendance, Biltmore visits, hiking, snow tubing, beach trips, etc.  Each home has a budget, and with our children's and youth's input, we are able to plan personalized age appropriate activities that meet a variety of interests.

Our children and youth also have personal development opportunities based on their plan of care and are encouraged to enroll in lessons such as music, martial arts, dance, exercise, etc.

Activities with volunteers and community partners are also encouraged.  (Background checks and authorizations are completed for all volunteers & community partners when participating in activities within the homes.  All activities are supervised by our staff unless appropriate permissions have been obtained for special/rare occasions.)  Activities within the home may include preparation of a meal (learning customs/traditions of different cultures and learning how to cook a meal and prepare a home for entertaining guests), holiday/birthday celebrations, gardening, and group activities such as football, etc.  Outside the homes our children and youth may participate in trips to the lake for group boating activities, magic shows, ballets, ball games, etc.

What accommodations are made for children’s religious practice?

Children and youth receive care in a manner that is respectful to their culture and ethnicity and that recognizes and respects differences in racial, cultural, and religious upbringing and heritage.

What does a typical weekday schedule look like during the school year and in the summer?

Children and youth are awakened by staff, according to age and ability, and prepared for school.  They are observed while waiting for the school bus pick up and return from school. When returning from school, they are given a snack before the completion of homework. During that time, some of the youth, ages 14 and older, may have jobs that they are transported to. The youth may have counseling and other appointments that they must attend.  In the evening, following the meal time, everyone participates in cleanup and preparation for bedtime.  Youth take care of their laundry each week with support and supervision from staff on duty.

In the summer months, daily routines are similar, but planned to accommodate interaction and inclusion in the community.  Community trips, vacation time, etc. are planned to provide children and youth both educational and recreational experiences.

What documentation is required at placement?

Birth Certificate

Social Security Card

Immunization Record

Physical within the past year - if no physical has been completed then name of current physician or permission to use a local physician is required so that a physical can be completed within two weeks of admission (or sooner if health indicates).

TB Test within the past year.

Dental Exam within the past year - if no dental exam has been completed then name of current dentist or permission to use a local dentist is required so that a dental exam can be completed within six weeks of admission.

Medical Insurance (current) - It is important that we get an original of the insurance card, however, if one is not available, then we need documentation showing the medical insurance number, contact information, and estimated date of receipt of original card.

Social History

Visitation Log - no visitation will be permitted without documentation giving us specific authorization for supervised or unsupervised visitation via phone, email or in person.  It is highly recommended that if visitation is unknown that a listing of those who are currently not allowed to access to the youth be listed.

Juvenile Petition

Court Orders/Summary of Order and ALL updates

DSS Out-of-Home FS Agreement and ALL updates

School Transcripts

Last Report Cards

Employment Development Services

Youth age 14+ are eligible for employment opportunities as long as it is approved by their social worker and their behavior is in acceptable standing within our behavior level system.  We have a Youth Development Program through our Special Treasures specialty store where they have the ability to work part-time and receive experience and training in preparation of becoming self-sustaining.  In addition, we provide an internship program to our local community business partners and encourage our youth to seek opportunities that interest them.  Forty percent of program participant wages will be maintained in a savings account.  We request assistance in setting up bank accounts for all participating residents.  Program participants may   

not work more than 20 hours a week while enrolled in school and must meet requirements for obtaining their education to include GED scholars.  The youth employment program provides Employment Readiness Certification through Mitchell Community College to applicable participants.

What are your hours of operation?

Our homes operate 365 days a year.  Placements are accepted if openings are available.


Can you provide me with a copy of the financial/admissions agreement that you use?  Does this need to be completed prior to placement? 

Yes. The admissions agreement must be signed before placement.

Other Financial

Email and contact name for invoicing and accounts payable questions is needed no later than the fifteenth of the month - should placement be made at the end of a month, then contact information may be required at admission.

Each of our homes’ licenses, W-9 form and other support documentation can be emailed and are available upon request.

At admission, it is important to know if emergency clothing funds are available for the resident.  We have a store and donations to compliment all our children's wardrobes, however, we may be limited by size, fashion type and condition available.  We will need signed documentation or an email from the social worker authorizing emergency clothing funds before any emergency clothing can be purchased.  When processing reimbursements all receipts will be scanned and emailed with the purchase authorization.

Please notify us if your county does not support any of allowance tables below.

Standard Board Rate (based off of # of nights in care)

0-5     $4,279

6-12   $4,437

13+    $4,516

Allowances (Invoiced with Board Rate - Not prorated based on placement on last day of month)

0-2      $0

3-4      $3

5-9    $10

10+   $15

Birthday Allowance  - $50 Birthday